It's Only the Start

It's the lifestyle. I feel like it's making me a better person. That's what I say when people ask me why I chose public accounting. It definitely took time to figure this out. I liked the person that I was during my first tax internship even though it was incredibly stressful. While I didn't get an offer then, I was still able to overcome some personal obstacles and achieve personal milestones. For example, relative to myself I improved my efficiency at work a lot. At first it sounds like that's just something exclusive to work but in order to accomplish that, I had to change a little as a whole. Personality. It's what determines what I care about, when I am willing to put in that extra time get it done now instead of later, when I want to pursue something tirelessly. So while working in public is all I've really known, I'm comfortable with my career choice for now.

All of that is not to say that's how I'll feel at any firm. I'm starting to really see what it means by people making the difference. Where I'm at now...the people are amazing. Of course, part of it is also learning how to be yourself. That's also why two different people surrounded by the same people could totally perceive their surroundings in contrast. And that's where I think attitude comes in. I'd say I'm pretty negative but I try to make a conscious effort to see the other side when I can. Plus, sometimes you just have to learn to be a team player. Basically, doing what you're told and operating from the perspective of how can I make other people's lives easier? Isn't that what professional services is about? In fact, isn't that how you should just go through life? What is so amazing about it here is that people don't just work hard, but work hard together.

It's not all rainbows and teacups or whatever though. There is a certain kind of pressure and complexity that comes with people having expectations of you and that those people are kind of, if not your friends. And just as quickly as they've deemed you a good fit for the group, they can discount you. So like I've said before, which should just become my 'motto', you either make it or you don't. There's no going back in time.

So there's no good segway into the next topic but my last 'relationship' has still been lingering around in my mind, not to any surprise. It's been 6 months since then. That time honestly went by in a blink and the past 2 months have gone by in what feels like milliseconds. I realized the other day why I don't like when people say it'll get better with time because it doesn't. The easiest time is actually the immediate aftermath. The difficult part? The burn of feelings ever so slowly dissipating and it's like, you want them to go but you don't. You don't because that would mean giving up something you deeply believed in (and I already have a not letting go of things problem). And this internal struggle back and forth interferes with new people you want in your life. Anyway, I think I can finally see the dim light at the end of the tunnel now.

Intense and serious, that's how I like them it seems. Night.

desda

Comments

Popular Posts