Healthy Living

If your dreams don't scare you, then you're not dreaming big enough.

Interestingly enough, that line stuck with me from the night of the annual scholarship awards dinner. I can't say I quite believe it completely yet, but it keeps replaying in my head because perhaps I want so desperately to believe it. Either way, it gives me hope and that's an essential ingredient to just keep working towards our goals every day.

I've never really been one to post goals because it would be a lot of pressure and because I knew deep down, the initial hype would almost always die pretty quickly. Though, recent events have given me a little more faith than before. It's definitely a combination of many things, one being that particular elevator incident. It was the end of the day and there was some sort of emergency going on where we couldn't take the elevators, so that meant going down 12 floors of stairs. No big deal, I thought at the time. But for the next two to three days, my thighs were actually sore, really sore. Even I was surprised. I suppose that's what four years of relatively no exercise (and one of the worst sleeping habits ever) does to a person, regardless if I used to swim and run.

The second reason is really a combination of two reasons. I'll be going on another hiking trip out west this summer (yay!), so naturally I'll have to get in at least better shape to properly enjoy the experience. However, the trip didn't exactly pan out the way I anticipated, so a lot of thought has gone into the entire "situation." I like to believe some of that fell under that Maslow guy's pyramid theory thing of self-realization. Instead of admiring the female role models (Beckett, pls) in my life and fantasizing about another lifetime where I could be the "perfect self," I should be placing the emphasis on the current life and the one truly guaranteed thing I have.

So with all that being said, I've been eating better and the effects were noticeable in a matter of days. I'm also jogging and sleeping at mostly normal hours now. There's a lot more I want to say, but all in due time so as to not jump the gun. Gotta attain a certain level of assurance before writing all this seemingly positive stuff. I'm not trying to put up a front, but simply trying to see things for what they are.

So here's to slightly less shittier tomorrows.

Comments

Popular Posts