2019 goals
In a week's time, I'll be on my one-way trip to Chicago. My first day of work will be Feb. 18 and I'll be temporarily living with a girl for the first 4 months. Obviously, I am sad about leaving people and places behind, as well as anxious for what's ahead. I need to do well at this job...I want to do well. It's been a rollercoaster since I received my offer just before Thanksgiving. Initially I thought I would start working in December, but visa delays dragged it out until now. If my recruiter guy hadn't stood up for me, when HR wanted to not proceed with my application due to being Canadian, I wouldn't be here today. And if he hadn't stood up for me again, when my initial visa got denied, I also wouldn't be here. Of course, my boss gave the approval to reapply for the visa. A lot of people paved the way for this next phase in life and I am overwhelmed with gratitude. I was briefly in "exile" in Canada for 1.5 weeks and wasn't sure I would be allowed back in the US or that the job would really happen. I guess you never really know until the work visa is approved. So when I made it back across the border, the first emotion was actually just crying. For a bit in the processing office I was fairly convinced I would have to start anew in Vancouver or some other Canadian city.
There are 3 big goals I want to accomplish for 2019, but I haven't really worked in a year. My brain feels rusty and maybe I'm not cut out to be as "successful" as I want to be? But I don't think I want to be like certain people I know who are 30 with no professional experience and no real career in my opinion. It's okay to not want to work in the field of your degree, but it's important to be working towards something. By no means is being 30 too late to do something about it, but rather it's about having the desire to change the situation. My friend L did an entire undergrad and grad in an area she had no interest in, did another undergrad degree, and now appears to enjoy the new field. My mom thinks that's a waste of time, or an inefficient way about life, but I disagree, because perhaps it's more about the journey? I guess I don't understand how you can be married to someone who is allegedly ambitious career-wise, and just having worked minimum wage jobs at 30. How do those two seemingly different types of people and personalities get along and find each other attractive? But most importantly, how do you live with yourself when you have no career ambitions? Maybe it boils down to what each person wants out of life? Perhaps people in those relationships subconsciously threaten my insecurities? I was fairly delusional in my recent toxic relationship and had actually thought I would "work whatever job for a year and move to Japan to be with him." That is pretty much the definition of living your life for someone else, and the fact that I was willingly, without being asked, going to put my life and interests on a somewhat hold for what?
Going back to the 3 goals...they include being good at the new job, like getting promoted in a year good. But not sacrificing health or my main hobby, climbing. Lastly, to get my CPA. I feel like career ambitions and overall outlook on life are intertwined. I still stand by wanting to make a difference in the lives of others. Anyway...
There are 3 big goals I want to accomplish for 2019, but I haven't really worked in a year. My brain feels rusty and maybe I'm not cut out to be as "successful" as I want to be? But I don't think I want to be like certain people I know who are 30 with no professional experience and no real career in my opinion. It's okay to not want to work in the field of your degree, but it's important to be working towards something. By no means is being 30 too late to do something about it, but rather it's about having the desire to change the situation. My friend L did an entire undergrad and grad in an area she had no interest in, did another undergrad degree, and now appears to enjoy the new field. My mom thinks that's a waste of time, or an inefficient way about life, but I disagree, because perhaps it's more about the journey? I guess I don't understand how you can be married to someone who is allegedly ambitious career-wise, and just having worked minimum wage jobs at 30. How do those two seemingly different types of people and personalities get along and find each other attractive? But most importantly, how do you live with yourself when you have no career ambitions? Maybe it boils down to what each person wants out of life? Perhaps people in those relationships subconsciously threaten my insecurities? I was fairly delusional in my recent toxic relationship and had actually thought I would "work whatever job for a year and move to Japan to be with him." That is pretty much the definition of living your life for someone else, and the fact that I was willingly, without being asked, going to put my life and interests on a somewhat hold for what?
Going back to the 3 goals...they include being good at the new job, like getting promoted in a year good. But not sacrificing health or my main hobby, climbing. Lastly, to get my CPA. I feel like career ambitions and overall outlook on life are intertwined. I still stand by wanting to make a difference in the lives of others. Anyway...
Comments