Quarter Century
So I recently turned 25 and the past year has been interesting. I also moved out from my parents' home around this time last year. Things could've turned out much worse, such as having to move back in May when that happened. I've been fortunate. How do I sum it all up though? I did a lot of things for the first time and rediscovered old passions. I put together my first piece of furniture, cleaned the bathroom, took out my trash, got car problems fixed, started climbing, drove up north by myself for a race weekend, went open water swimming, went real camping for a long weekend, went outdoor climbing, and went on a bunch of first dates. Also, I rediscovered swimming and running. I didn't do it all alone but I made things happen by knowing what I want and making it happen. I haven't been proactive about everything and lazy about many things that I shouldn't, but I have been actively exercising and dating. Gradually over the past 6-8 months I've found good reasons to want to get up in the morning. But it's more than that, it's a drive that I want for it to only get stronger. I want it all. I want a fulfilling career, to see the world, find my partner in life, become a pretty good triathlete, go deep water soloing, and climb basalt columns. Part of that fulfilling career is to make a difference and seeing the world in both its beauty and the darker parts.
Two of my favorite memories this year would have to be at the lake swimming, whether it was under the beating sun on a weekend, by the sunset on a weeknight after work, or in the rain. The other would have to be 5am race mornings out by the water. For a brief while, all the noise in my mind fades into the backdrop and I am in a state of peacefulness. There is no place I'd rather be in that moment.
Comments